[This is a question OVERW8 Owner Kristin Reinbach answered on Quora.]
You probably also know the saying:
“Sell them what they want, give them what they need”.
What they WANT is very often:
- cheap – and once it’s set up
- never having to touch it again.
10 years ago that might have been ok, but as soon as you expect your website to help you with your sales, this is a high-risk approach.
What happens to the interested person who visits your website and finds it uninspired? Average?
Probably not turning into a lead, right?
Too many people are not aware of the sales potential they lose – literally because they don’t notice.
What they need these days are websites that are sales or presales machines in disguise (depending on B2C or B2B business), and that means:
- congruent as well as authentic/outstanding brand world/story
- sales-ability – that is content that is crafted and arranged in a way that helps ease conversion
- to see and integrate the website as a significant pillar of their marketing- and sales system (or you could call it marketing strategy)
- use the website as your real estate/territory in the online space – stating your claim for fame in the world – and have it develop alongside with your business
Btw: This is much less a tech challenge (there are still lots of people who mistakingly turn to their ‘web admin’ or ‘their developer’ for this task) but much rather a marketing, brand and sales challenge.
And even though that’s not very popular these days:
To avoid massive blind spots, a comparison with the competitor’s in the field is a good start – nothing worse than investing lots of time and money only to look the same.
As the owner of agency „OVERW8“ and building on more than 20 years experience in marketing, Kristin is consistently thinking along the terms of ‚customer value‘, ‚brand value‘ as well as business models. Consistently meaning when she’s out for dinner, sitting in a cosy ski hut as well as having a sundowner wine at a vineyard.
Like this, it’s simple logic that her primary job now is to support entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial teams with this know-how to create more brand value, more customer value and thus more company value. She’s sharing some of these nuggets here on OVERW8’s blog.