What type of website do people want now? (and what do they need)
[This is a question OVERW8 Owner Kristin Reinbach answered on Quora.]
You probably also know the saying:
“Sell them what they want, give them what they need”.
What they WANT is very often:
- cheap – and once it’s set up
- never having to touch it again.
10 years ago that might have been ok, but as soon as you expect your website to help you with your sales, this is a high-risk approach.
What happens to the interested person who visits your website and finds it uninspired? Average?
Probably not turning into a lead, right?
Too many people are not aware of the sales potential they lose – literally because they don’t notice.
What they need these days are websites that are sales or presales machines in disguise (depending on B2C or B2B business), and that means:
- congruent as well as authentic/outstanding brand world/story
- sales-ability – that is content that is crafted and arranged in a way that helps ease conversion
- to see and integrate the website as a significant pillar of their marketing- and sales system (or you could call it marketing strategy)
- use the website as your real estate/territory in the online space – stating your claim for fame in the world – and have it develop alongside with your business
Btw: This is much less a tech challenge (there are still lots of people who mistakingly turn to their ‘web admin’ or ‘their developer’ for this task) but much rather a marketing, brand and sales challenge.
And even though that’s not very popular these days:
To avoid massive blind spots, a comparison with the competitor’s in the field is a good start – nothing worse than investing lots of time and money only to look the same.
Leave a Reply